Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Simplify Your Life: first step to social media – one email address


I was on vacation in Central America this past week (try not to be too jealous and yes I do have a point…) While working on the beach frivolously tweeting and emailing and cursing my iPad, iPod, and iPhone for not being more adaptable to my needs, I had an epiphany—It wasn’t my technology that needed upgraded, it was me.

I have gotten so accustomed to Google docs that when I needed my cheat sheet of client log ins, I was lost trying to toggle between everything and logging in. As I became more mad with the Google docs app (I prefer and actually highly recommend iMailG), I realized it could all be fixed efficiently with TaDa! Simplicity.

So I’ve come to Rule #1: When Starting a Social Media Campaign: Keep it Simple!

Designate one specific email address for all your logins.

(tip: make sure your email is a legit website and not a google email, such as marketing@socialmindedmediagroup.com because some sites such as LinkedIn require this for verification). This way you can also designate this email to anyone else monitoring your marketing accounts so it is not a cluster of google docs and logins.

(NOTE: I am not saying to use the same passwords! Make sure these are still encrypted. I like to coin a phrase, such as “IloveGoogleDocstoomuch” and use ILGD2M as my password.)

This is also nice because social media loves to overload your inbox with notifications of new friend requests, retweets, comments and more. Having one designated email will allocate all of these to one lonely place, and keep your regular inbox clean and tidy.

No comments:

Post a Comment