Monday, June 16, 2014

7 tips for decreasing your caffeine consumption while maintaining your energy




            Some days making it from 9 to 5 can seem unfathomable- nearly impossible; especially without my morning cup of joe. My love affair with coffee is somewhat of a love-hate relationship. I love coffee; my body hates anything after the third cup. Coffee isn’t so much about the caffeine for me as it is about the ritual. Getting to work, powering up my computer, mixing my coffee while I mentally prepare myself for whatever my day has in store, and nursing my soul through the morning with cup after cup of rich, nutty, piping hot (or in the summer months, frosty cold) coffee. But I get to about eleven am and I lose all focus, my knees and hands start shaking, and  I scarf down some sort of food and fast, so I don't keel over. 

I haven’t quite mastered the coffee rush. 

So, I’ve painstakingly learned when to cut myself off. And even though I manage to escape the faint feelings, I lose a little bit of steam, and after lunch it’s all down-hill from there. With that, I’ve come up with some decaffeinated tricks to battle my coffee urges, all the while increasing my energy levels. 

7 Tips For Decreasing Your Caffeine Consumption While Maintaining Your Energy

1. Eat a nutritious, filling breakfast

We’ve all been told never to skimp out on the most important meal of the day, but so many of us are guilty of it. Especially those of you with kids, dogs, or just spouses who are, dare I say it - distracting in the morning rush. But even if it means making a giant batch of oatmeal in the slow cooker to last me the week, I make sure to eat something before I start my day. Eating breakfast tells your body that it’s time to get moving, provides nutrients for your body to thrive on until your next meal, and eating a healthy one will yield the most energy. 

2    2. Don’t just eat breakfast, but eat smaller

Eating big meals is what America is all about. Making sure we eat three meals a day is an ideal we’ve all grown up on. However, we’re all familiar with that lethargic feeling that accompanies large meals. I’ve made it a habit to eat about five or six small meals throughout the day. It helps me avoid the sleepiness, but also makes me feel wonderful spiritually- who isn’t happy when they get to eat all day long?
 
3    3. Schedule your most grueling work for the morning

Humans naturally retain their highest energy levels in the morning hours, so powering through your toughest (or most boring) work in the AM can help make the rest of your day more productive.

4    4. Turn down the temperature

Under normal circumstances, this suggestion would be the farthest from my mind considering I always feel cold. However, I have noticed that I’m much more alert when I’m a little bit chilly. The heat naturally contributes to lethargy, and even though it might feel nice to be in a toasty office, the cool air is better at keeping us awake.

5    5. Let there be light

This probably goes without saying, but light even in unnatural forms makes us feel more alert and helps increase productivity. Our bodies naturally respond to light, and when it’s dark out our bodies start to think that it’s nap time. If like me you aren’t blessed with a window nearby, invest in a decent desk-lamp.

6    6. Disrupt yourself

I start to feel to the sleepiest when I’m working on a project for a long stretch of time. So instead of trying to stick it out and make it through the project, I switch gears. Taking a break from one task and working on a quick project in between can help reboot our brains a little bit. And I always feel a bit more accomplished when I can cross little things off my list.

7    7. Nap


Now, don’t get me wrong; I’m not suggesting you lay your head down on your keyboard and take a little afternoon siesta while the rest of the office is slaving away. But most jobs generally allow you to take a couple breaks throughout the day. So instead of sitting in the kitchen or chatting it up with a coworker when you’re feeling exhausted, maybe sit outside or head to your car and take a ten to fifteen minute cat nap. Even taking naps at home on the weekends or during a busy evening can help you feel better rested throughout the rest of the week.




Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment